Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/karolbar/public_html/wastelandforum/include/parser.php on line 738

Topic: I want to build a tower!

So I had a great idea today for adding some props to the campsite when my gal was talking about her old Eagles Nest back at her old house. We briefly discussed going back to the house and asking the new owners (who have been there for 10+ years) if we could take it off their hands for WW... Then it hit me - I should buy some random wooden play set off Craigslist and paint it up to look awesome and make it our "mobile lookout tower"

Unfortunately, they're either super expensive, plastic or too short.

So I could build one, right?

No idea where to start here.

How can I build a tower that's easily taken down, portable, etc.? Any ideas?

Wasteland Weekend's Production Foreman
Member of WW's infamous TEAM AMERICA!
Lead singer/rhythm guitarist for the Post-Apocarock band "All Hail The Crimson King" (www.AHTCK.com)
I'm the leader of the AHTCK Squad Tribe

Re: I want to build a tower!

depends on what the base is, if its a truck with a rack you just have a structure that slips in side of it, life the thing up over the rack and put plants to hold it up, maybe a few clamps if your into safty. you shouldnt lose to much space because things cab be put in it. if its free standing its a bigger deal but you can make a platform with strong leggs that is bolted together then you just put it back together.

Be still my [REDACTED] of [REDACTED]. I [REDACTED] your [REDACTED]. We've all [REDACTED] [REDACTED] we [REDACTED]. But we do it my[REDACTED]!

Don't over reach with height either. A ten foot tower would be really tall in a place like WW. Hell even 7 or 8 feet would be enough to see over most things.

try a deer hunting stand.

Awesome! Thanks everyone - you all just gave me some really freaking cool ideas...

Lead singer/rhythm guitarist for the Post-Apocarock band "All Hail The Crimson King" (www.AHTCK.com)

A tower is a great idea.

Like all great ideas, they require some considerations to be sure.

Height of course...and worst case falling off the same...enough to gain the high ground without becoming a viable hazard.

Costs...keeping these down is always welcome...use it twice and it is really nice  smile

Build...easy and safe

I was cruising the internet for plans, there are plenty...but the end cost of the wood alone...dear god.

A couple thoughts would be the theme, keeping costs down, using found items...

...how about using a few bought beams, 4" x 4" x 12', and a bunch of shipping palettes?

I can get a couple dozen anytime I want locally, TX...is this an option for you?

I was picturing a basic 8' x 8' x 8' cube with the top being the stand or platform section.  Use the palettes to skin the frame work and to create your platform floor/roof.

Lots of hand holds, lighter weight, mostly recycled pieces.

I would use deep screw anchors to develop support against swaying and excess movement.

Just a thought.

Or...

...if you have an RV, school bus, moving truck to work with...build a could support beams under the roof, panel the platform, and create really good railing.

Neat idea  smile

Last edited by Atomic Ray (2012-12-15 17:56:48)

"In my dreams I found a little of the beauty I had vainly sought in life, and wandered through old gardens and enchanted woods"

Lovecraft

Atomic Ray wrote:

A tower is a great idea.

Neat idea  smile

Wow - I like all your options, dude. Thanks! I'm actually in Lancaster CA - about an hour south of the WW site. Texas is out of the question hahaha... But I might have access to some supplies to build a tower. I've looked at plans before - crazy. I've played with the idea of using my truck as the base... but I'm part of the WW build crew and something might come up. This last year we had to use my truck to run out for more supplies to finish the stage last minute. I'd like to keep my truck as an option for "oh shit - we need to _____ right now."

I'll keep my eye out for ideas and plans.

I love the hunters tower idea... unfortunately the wind hates them.

need to find an old bunk bed like the one I used to have. It set up easily, broad base, breaks down smallish, then add a 2-3 foot riser on the top bunk with a seat with gun mount, etc. maybe add some panels around the top bunk or drape it with camo.
mebbe?
i have that ladderrrrrrrr
it would fit in with the scavenged look s'well

Elite Guard
AHTCK Squad: Mrs. Cottage
Hydration Maiden

craigs list, also look in the free section of craigs list i've seen them from time to time

Be still my [REDACTED] of [REDACTED]. I [REDACTED] your [REDACTED]. We've all [REDACTED] [REDACTED] we [REDACTED]. But we do it my[REDACTED]!

Yeah, wind is probably the biggest concern with most structures you build in camp.
You don't want a tower, or any other prop, to blow over, and clobber someone...

One idea I had, for securing big props like that, is to weld a support structure
onto a trailer hitch. That way you can attach it to the hitch on a car or truck,
and the weight of the vehicle will keep it stable in the wind. Maybe all you
would need, is a 4" box at the end of the hitch, to slide one 4x4 base post into.

Breathing life back into this one.

Have each camp commit to a second story or tower of some sort, if they can manage it.

As noted just 8' off the ground would make for a really nice silhouette break and different view...great photos etc.

For me if I were to build one it would need to be...

1. stable
2. easy to transport
3. reusable
4. not so expensive

I think we can all agree to those lol.

1. stable...wide base, anchors, limited personnel and weight above the 50% height mark

2. easy to transport...either breaks down or is mounted (with a hinge) to a trailer or vehicle

3. reusable...I like fire but not really into waste, so I would not be burning mine, man

4. not so expensive...scrap yard, inexpensive supplies, reused materials

One cool aspect is mounting tarps and covers off the towers, then very quickly a small town is built with shade and structure without a lot of weight and/or permanent supports

"In my dreams I found a little of the beauty I had vainly sought in life, and wandered through old gardens and enchanted woods"

Lovecraft

DIY Deer Hunting stands are a good place to start.
http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/How … d-or-Stand

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
-Carl Sagan

... ron... Ron... RON! RON!!!

PunBB bbcode test

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
-Carl Sagan

MetalJesus wrote:

... ron... Ron... RON! RON!!!

PunBB bbcode test

Yep that is a great one!

Put that on a strong platform on a truck...perfect.

Lovecraft

Great minds think alike!

Used craigslist find about 6 years ago. My son played on it for about a year.
Now the wife wants it gone!
Great! I shall wasteland it up! Rusted panels, fishing nets, rig up a canvas shade, etc

Main support posts were rotted on bottom when I bought it, so I cut off and mounted on concrete piers from HomeDepot. It sits a little higher than stock, but not too excessive.
Safety first! No impaired Wasters are falling off of it on my watch!

I'd gladly contribute it to a camp/tribe.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/sharkdude1/RoadWarrior/686FD707-A33B-4C08-B45D-30D746F78110_zpsldsgplni.jpg

We are Legion, for we are Many!

It bolts together.
When I bought it, I had to repair some pieces, but it should dis-assemble/re-assemble easily enough. If I recall, it fit easily in my minivan with room to spare.
I still have the slide, and the 'monkeybars' section that use as a roof ladder.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/sharkdude1/RoadWarrior/7DC496B5-BD75-4D16-B8D2-6494DB049BC4_zpsqafbll11.jpg

both would be great maybe even connect them

pics of that tower should be sent over to the waterworld tribe on facebook.

Its the same tower in both pics.

I offered it to WaterWorld Tribe, but they may be going a different direction.

Rigged up some posts and wire to support a canvas shade (4x12 from Harbor Freight Tools)
Its not tied down yet. Dirtied it up some in my compost pile for a few days.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/sharkdude1/RoadWarrior/94197A3E-66B8-4AF7-9E65-F69CEFEB1ADB_zpszuxw9q23.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u10/sharkdude1/RoadWarrior/D4D76198-AA04-4C96-A11D-7F5DAB7CCBA0_zpsxne5vncm.jpg

Nice

"You will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension" ~TESLA~

That tarp looks vile, I love it. Compost pile leave any bad smell to it?

Smells earthy. Going to let it air out while I think about how to rig it secure.
I may try some rust dyeing on the tarp too.

ZIP TIES, put some grommets in the tarp then just use zip ties, you can drill worm holes threw the wood so when you look at the tarp you won't see the zip ties, then with a pair of tin snips it can be removed again fast. easy up easy down easy to hide and strong as hell.